Sunday, September 30, 2007

Gathering of Old Friends

After church today, we met up with Min, his wife June, Joyce and little Jun for lunch. It has been some years since we last met Min. He is still pretty much the same, except that he now prefers to read in large prints :p

I came to know Min in 1991 at York. Then, I discovered that he and my bro went to the same school and were classmates. Sam knew Min from MSBC and they were both in the mime team. We had the opportunity to travel together to Florida, whitewater rafting trip to Ottawa and some of the YAM camps.

Min is a very humble, simple and helpful guy. I recall those days in my first year at varsity, when I had to write essays for assignments. At that time, I really have little idea of how to use the computer, let alone MS Word. I only vaguely remember playing computer games on a Commodore via Dos program back home. We didn't have email or MSN back then! So I really struggled to write the essay with my weak command of English and at the same time to learn to use the application. Fortunately for me, Min came to the rescue and spent the whole night teaching me to use the PC and construct my essay in Lillian's rented basement. The essay was due the following day. He pretty much helped pull me through the difficult times and taught me some basic computer skills. Now I have him to thank and have put my technical knowledge into good use and could even design my blog. And he has indeed put his patience and teaching gift to good use too :)

We met for lunch at Botak Jones at TP but I had Japanese instead as I had enough of BJ at the Tuas branch near work. We then adjourned to have dessert at Ben & Jerry's at Dempsey Hill. B&J is a pretty cosy and family friendly place to hang out for dessert. The place was packed but we managed to find a comfortable corner.

It was a wonderful time of catching up, and I am glad to have spent a lazy Sunday afternoon with friends. Thank God for blessing us with good old friends. Thank God also for technology to draw us closer. We could now know how the other person is getting along by reading their blog. How I admire the new generation and what they have been blessed with :)

No comments: