Friday, November 2, 2007

Traditional Mindset

Crying 1Had a lousy evening.

You see, I come from a family whose parents have very traditional mindset and values. Most people would assume that being the youngest and only girl in the family means that I am a pampered child.

Well, I grew up in a family where only boys get to go out to play, and the girl has to stay home to help with chores. The boys get the freedom while the girl is often under house arrest in the name of 'protecting' her. The girl gets bullied by the boys and treated like a pest. The girl is not expected to excel in her studies or be placed in good schools. At the end of the day, she is to be married off and leave the family.

Unfortunately to this day, I am still confined to such stereotype. Over the week, the boys snapped at me while I was trying to organise a family get together. This evening at mum's place for dinner, she prepared a big feast which we only get to enjoy when the boys are around. Mum announced that a relative's daughter will be getting married. One invitation was addressed to the whole family (parents, the boys and spouse) and another was addressed just to us. And mum affirmed that that is the way it should be, as I have been married off and belonged to a different family. Tears welled in my eyes.

Of late, activists are contending for gay rights and woman rights in society, but gender discrimination is already prevalent at home. Such prejudice is reaching an alarming level in many Asian society, which explains the growing imbalance in gender ratio. Is anything being done to address this?

I often admire those close knitted families, caring doting brothers, and sisterly bond. And I thank God for friends who took their place, and for Sam.

No comments: