Saturday, October 20, 2007

Spanish Culinary Workshop

This afternoon we attended a Spanish culinary workshop at Cairnhill CC. It's my first time attending a cooking workshop, apart from the Home Econs class I took in school.

Cooking is not my forte, as I was discouraged after having failed miserably when I tried to replicate at home the 'rock buns' and 'scrambled eggs' I have learnt from school. I did attempt to do some baking now and then, but still lack the motivation. Well that also means that since I'm kitchen incompetent, Sam does most of the cooking. But he enjoys it and does a pretty good job, really. :)

I wanted to learn to cook Spanish cuisine after having really enjoyed the food when we were in Spain. We came across this workshop at one of the Healthy Lifestyle event held at BG recently. So we registered online for our first ever cooking class. It was also our first time to step foot in that CC.

First, we were introduced to the wife of the Spanish Ambassador who briefly attended the session with us. Next we had a lady (from the Embassy) who read from a script explaining the Spanish pop culture. Then the time was handed over to the native culinary expert Mireia Castells, who introduced to us 3 Spanish dishes: Gazpacho (cold tomato soup) for starter, Albondigas (meatballs) for main and Flan for dessert. I was sort of expecting it to be a hands-on session, but it turned out to be just a demo. Fine with me as I did not have to make a fool of myself...

Cooking the Gazpacho is easy as it is a matter of chopping up all the ingredients and putting them in a blender, and adding water, salt & pepper and ice (yes, ice) to taste. The Flan requires a few extra steps but is just as simple. It is the Spanish version of crème brûlée and is to be served cold. As for the Albondigas, that requires some hours of cooking and preparation which the class of mostly ladies enthusiastically chipped in to help during the demo.

We got to taste the food at the end of the demo, and it was pretty good. From this class, I learnt culinary terms like 'Bain Marie' and got to see what a colander looks like :p The 3 hrs class was fun, and I am looking forward to Sam trying out those dishes... :)

No comments: