Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Bontanic Gardens

We had a great start to a Sat morning, visiting the Botanic Gardens (BG) after breakfast at Prata Cafe.

I recalled my first visit to BG with my Godma, Aunt Nancy, Eugene and mum when I was a kid. I ran and climbed trees, all hot and perspiring in my uncomfortable dress as evident in an old photo. At that time I did not know how to appreciate such outings and never went there again till some years later. I realised though that as I age :-( , I began to enjoy the Parks and Gardens more.

We parked our car at the public parking along Tyersall Ave near the Burkhill Gate entrance. The nice thing about the BG is that parking is relatively cheap, and from 11am - 5pm it's free for the first hour.

We strolled through the Ginger Gdn, Orchid Gdn, Palm Valley, Visitor Centre/Shop, Bonsai Gdn, Sun Gdn (succulents) and E.J.H. Corner House (now Au Jadin Les Amis). There were people jogging, walking their dogs, having a picnic, having meals at Halia Rstnt and other cafes, enjoying the greens and admiring the varied spieces of plants and trees. There were also a number of tourists who probably found the heat today a little unbearable. Coincidentally we met Gerald with some friends, discussing work while doing their walks. Now, that's something new... working at the park.

On display at the Sun Gdn is a 'Passing of Knowledge' sculpture by a local sculptor. The sculpture depicts his interpretation of the 4-Way Test, a philosophy embraced by Rotarians worldwide. The 4-Way Test of the things we think, say or do are:

1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

The BG is huge and we only covered parts of it. We thoroughly enjoyed the walk and hopefully could make this a weekly routine. :-)

No comments: